Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Volunteering is Networking at its Best

“ Volunteers are not paid. Not because they are worth less ……. Because they are priceless”.
Seen on a sign at the Senior Center at the Costick Center in Farmington.

Summertime is generally a slower time of year for most of us, especially late July and August. I take advantage of this lull by volunteering with different organizations. Not only does the effort benefit a worthy cause, but it provides the perfect opportunity to network with people I wouldn’t ordinarily meet at an organized networking event.

Last year, I joined the VFW Oxbow Post #4156 to honor my father, a decorated WWII Navy veteran, and got recruited to be secretary of the Ladies Auxiliary. I have also offered my PR talents to help them promote their fundraising efforts. Are there also business owners and members of the Post that could benefit from my marketing services as potential clients? You betcha!

I help out quarterly at the West Bloomfield Friends of the Library annual used book sale at the West Bloomfield Township Public Library. Not only do I get first crack at the used books but I am working alongside community leaders and activists.

This is the second year that I volunteered at Detroit Bike Week  and it was three days of non-stop fun and interaction with all kinds of people. A highlight of the weekend was meeting Ryan “Opie” Hurst, one of the stars of the FX show, Sons of Anarchy, which is one of my favorite shows. www.detroitbikeweek.com

Coming up on Saturday, September 8, Heartfelt Harvest will be selling hot dogs outside of Busch’s (14 Mile and Farmington) as part of their Summer Block Party. Heartfelt Harvest is an independent, grass roots, non-profit organization that partners with local businesses, such as Busch’s, and delivers food daily to food pantries in Farmington Hills, Farmington and West Bloomfield. Stop by and I’ll sell you a hot dog or two.  https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/457303047633318/

The bottom line is that any time of year is the best time to put your energy into helping the community and as a secondary benefit, meeting and network with a diverse and “new” group of people. There is no shortage of organizations that can use your help and will welcome you with open arms.

1 comment:

  1. In response to my blog post about volunteering, my buddy Mark Besh sent this, “I'm part of a 'managing' team with a great volunteering opportunity called "Life Remodeled" (we build new homes for deserving families in troubled communities in the Detroit Metro area). We just finished our 4th house 2 weeks ago (in Farmington Hills), and are doing our 5th house in Redford”. For more info, on.fb.me/SSxRJj or bit.ly/OKkMO3. If you have a project that needs volunteers, email me details. I’ll pass it along.

    ReplyDelete